Use this informaion to help high school seniors and college-bound students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The form is required to apply for federal financial assistance, including state grants, school loans and scholarships, for higher education.

Family financial information is key in completing the form, so students and parents are encouraged to complete the application together and have state-issued identification and a social security card and financial documents such as a copy of your most recent filed tax return.  We also suggest that both the student and the parents contact the Internal Revenue Service, by phone, by mail, or online to get a copy of their tax return transcript, record of account transcript, and wage and income statements . Students should complete the FAFSA application even if they are unsure about their college plans. The form takes about an hour to complete.


College Financial Aid Offices will NOT accept a copy of your return. You will NEED to have a transcript of your parents return, your if you filed one, and if neither of you filed a return you need a "LETTER OF NON-FILING". You can, if you have ever filed a return use the IRS get a transcript app, otherwise you will need to call and make an appointment at a local IRS TAC Office  844-545-5640. They will either offer to mail it (allow 5-10 days), fax it (allow 5-7 minutes) as long as YOU are at a fax machine, or schedule an appointment (based on availability for a 15-minute appointment) or complete a Form 4506-T. The form can be faxed or mailed, allow 10 days.

 To the greatest extent possible, use federal
loans to finance your education! 

First things first. Contact the Internal Revenue Service and obtain your Federal Return Transcript, your Record of Account, and your wage and income transcript.  Complete the IRS Form 4506-T. Use Form 4506-T to order a transcript or other return information free of charge. You can quickly request transcripts by using the IRS automated self-help service tools. Please visit their website at and click on “Get a Tax Transcript...” under “Tools” or call 1-800-908-9946. If you need an actual copy of your return, use Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. There is a fee to get a copy of your return. However, MOST colleges and universities will accept the transcript from the IRS and it is NOT always necessary to get an actual copy.  

With college and graduate school applications being submitted, applicants across the country are now trying to figure out how to cover the cost of their education.


Want to receive regular news & information in your inbox about credit, financial aid, and other information?


Decisions about financing education are difficult because they need to be based on a realistic assessment of a student's and the student's parents individual circumstances. Some students may figure out a cost effective path, such as attending a community college and then transferring to their dream school. But all too often, guidance on education financing is either nonexistent or so ineffective that students and their families are left drowning in debt without a life preserver.

Regardless of your family's circumstances there's one simple and effective thing that every single student and parent should do:
fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is required to secure access to federal student aid, which includes both federal grants and federal loans. Many states and institutions also use information from the FAFSA to determine eligibility for their different grant and loan programs. If you don't fill it out, you'll also foreclose any opportunity to receive this assistance.

Don't make the mistake of thinking filling out the FAFSA is not worth your time. The vast majority of students qualify for some form of aid and you should keep your options open. And, even if you are not eligible for certain grants, you cannot borrow federal loans if you don't fill out the FAFSA.

No-Bake Energy Bites                    Prep time 30 mins            Total time 30 mins      Recipe type: Dessert

Serves: 18-20 bites

1 cup oatmeal
½ cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
⅓ cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
½ cup ground flaxseed
½ cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
cup oatmeal
/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
/3 cup honey
cup coconut flakes
/2 cup ground flaxseed
/2 cup mini chocolate chips
tsp vanilla

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.
Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

**You can substitute almost anything for any of the ingredients to work around food allergies, special diets, etc. Soybutter, almond butter, cashew butter, sun butter, etc all works in place of peanut butter. You can use creamed or liquid honey, or agave nectar or even maltitol syrup in place of the honey. If you do not like or cannot eat coconut try some type of crushed cereal, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, granola, cocoa powder...the possibilities are really endless. If you cannot find ground flaxseed you can buy it whole and grind it yourself in a coffee grinder or magic bullet or you can substitute any other dry ingredient in it's place. Yes, the mini chocolate chips can be regular sized or carob or you can use raisins, cranberries, goji berries, or crushed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, whatever nut you like) of some kind.